Custom Search
Corvette - An American Dream: From an Island south of Detroit...

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

From an Island south of Detroit...


Here's a new photo for everyone to drool over. Especiall those lovers of the older, vintage models. We're looking at a beautiful 1965 Corvette sent to us by my friend up north, David Ware.

Since I've already posted an article containing most everything I know about the C2, I'll let you visit that post if you'd like. Just go to the September 22nd post or click HERE. I'll just save my breath today and let David tell you about this one.

The 65 features a numbers matching 327/365 engine, 4 speed trans, 3.55:1 rear axle ratio, power brakes, side mount exhaust, knock-off wheels, teak wheel, leather seats, and comfort & convenience group.

I purchased the Vette in August 1991 from a gentleman named Tom Everly who resided in Troy, MI about 20 miles North of Detroit. It was in decent shape at the time, although there was much room for improvement.

My main concern was that it was a numbers matching car and the color combination I wanted, which incidentally is the correct color for the car as evidenced by the trim tag. I was continually making improvements until I made the decision to address all the issues with the car by doing a comprehensive body off restoration which began in January, 1997 and was completed in October, 1999.

This comprehensive restoration resulted in a very reliable 35 year old Corvette. It's been mainly a trouble free pleasure for 9 years now, although I must admit it's not a daily driver as I have only driven it 7000 miles since restoration.

Last year I wanted to add something to the Vette that offered a slight change as I was becoming a little complacent with the same look for so many years. Adding the 67 big block hood add the pizzazz for which I was looking.

The Vette now enjoys a leisurely life on an island South of Detroit and only gets redlined once we hit the mainland.

So, there it is. As nice a '65 as you'd want to find just about anywhere. Thanks again to David for sending it to us. We'll be looking for you when we get up around Detroit.

Don't forget to wave!

No comments: