Custom Search
Corvette - An American Dream: Conflicting advice...

Monday, November 10, 2008

Conflicting advice...


I need to clarify something I said in an earlier post so that I don't lead anyone in the wrong direction. And I'm not talking here about credit repair or bio fuels.

Since writing the post about winterizing, I have found some contradictory comments on other sites. I may have to do some additional research regarding the dryer sheets. The opinions regarding their value seems to be mixed, and it appears the jury is still out on that subject.

Here's the conflict: Some users have no issue with them, and no rodent problems. Others tell me the mice seem to really like them. Perhaps it makes their fur nice and soft and fluffy. In those cases the mice built their nests under the hood, either next to, or right on top of, the dryer sheets.

So before taking my advice and putting dryer sheets in your engine compartment, get a second or third opinion from other Vette owners who have used them. Then make your own decision. The ball is in your court on this one.

This weekend I made a trip to Walmart on a quest to acquire everything I needed for winterizing. The first thing I purchased was a box of moth balls. I don't buy moth balls that often, and I may have fallen out of loop over the years, but these were different than any moth balls I'd seen before. They weren't actually moth "balls." They were more what I would describe as moth "discs." The box contained several packets, each holding two of these discs wrapped in a transparent paper shell. These ran a little over $2.

In addition, right next to the moth discs, I found a small tub of desiccant. You simply remove the aluminum foil seal and set the container inside the cockpit of your Vette to prevent mold and mildew during the winter months. The cost was $2.32.

On my way toward the door I detoured into the pharmacy section where I found a package of three bars of Irish Spring. I'll unwrap these and place them inside the interior to make it smell nice and fresh when the winter snow has melted and dried. If I remember correctly, these ran about $3 for the package.

My largest expense was a flow charger (battery tender). This was acquired at Advance Auto Parts on highway 58 in Raymore, MO. Nice guys to deal with and very knowledgeable regarding Corvettes. I opted for the 3 amp version because the Advance Auto Parts dude told me the 1.5 amp wouldn't really do the job as well. This set me back about $40.

All I need to do now is wait until there's no chance of driving the Vette again this winter without getting it into the rain and snow, install all my goodies, hook up the tender, add ten pounds of pressure to the tires, stuff some steel wool into the exhaust tips, put the cover over it, and sit by the fire reading my Corvette magazines. Or this blog.

It's going to be a long wait for Spring.

No comments: